Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lee Friedlander: Documenting the Great Nothing of America





























































I was lucky enough to discover Friedlander's work when I was in Minnesota. His photo's are very stark but I find an almost dead pan sense of humor in then. Friedlander is so droll and serious in his photos that I almost laugh at them. I like the mirror shot, though I wish the lighting had more contrast, the self portrait with the lightbulb covering his face is more up my alley. The "Look Smart" photo is wonderfully arranged, with the stop sign's edge hitting a tangent with the edge of the photo. In the photo with the four guys walking/strutting I love how the two closest subjects are leaning away from the camera but almost in a taunting or playful manner.  Then the shot from the car is great, giving a very strange division in the photo. It's cool for not just being a photo of the subject but also containing the artists universe (the car window) and the artist himself and the area behind him. Then the TV/Radiator shot is a perfect example of why I love Friedlander's work. The geometry is great, there is a sense of being almost crouched and crunched into the corner. The room is clearly not that appealing, and yet you have Brando driving a motorcycle towards you. The contrast of the tall thing radiator to the fat cube shape of the TV is great too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment